Logo

Mariner 10 hp 2-stroke won’t start

HejDu

Hi all,

My Mariner 1998 10hp 2-stroke suddenly won’t start. It worked perfectly 2 days ago where I went for a 30 min ride. And started at the first pull when the engine was warm and I had shut it off.

Today I have pulled the starting cable to I got blisters in my hand. I tried locating the problem by checking the fuel line - I do get fuel in the carb when pulling the prime plug. I tried unscrewing the spark plugs and they both look good. I get no spark from any of them when pulling the starting cable and holding the plugs to the engine base - don’t know if I did this right though. I also tried disconnecting the yellow/ black wire to check for a bad kill switch. No difference.

I am on a vacation so my tools are a bit limited….any tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you by chance flip the MOB switch that would normally hook to a lanyard attached to your belt loop? If that has been switched, no start or spark. Double check.

Sorry for the delay in updates.

I took the motor to a local mechanic and he found that it didn’t give any spark. He tried replacing the switch box with one from another Mercury he had for repairs. It didn’t help so he gave up as he had no Mercury parts. So with the cable pulled it gives no power for the box, so I guess it must be the stator then from what I have read?

does this sound like a valid conclusion and do you think a simple fix can be applied (no wires seem to be broken) or a new stator is needed?

Thanks.

…. Or perhaps the trigger - either way I have to remove the flywheel when I get home. Does this require special tools for this outboard?

Thanks a lot.

I have looked for pullers and see different types. The flywheel has 3 holes and I have seen puller types with 3 thin back let’s and a big in the center but also a three armed type and a type which has a thread outside to screw into the flywheel and a center bolt.

which type would work? Sorry for my ignorance:)

thanks

You screw in the three small bolts in, using a few flat washers to keep the bolt heads from slipping by. Eyeball the puller level/ straight (from two directions) and tighten the big center bolt. A rap with a hammer on the bolt helps if it's stubborn.

As I recall, the three bolt wholes are 6 mm.

Jeff

You screw in the three small bolts in, using a few flat washers to keep the bolt heads from slipping by. Eyeball the puller level/ straight (from two directions) and tighten the big center bolt. A rap with a hammer on the bolt helps if it's stubborn.

As I recall, the three bolt wholes are 6 mm.

Jeff

thanks a lot, Jeff. All is clear now.

Bought myself a puller set for ~$30. Worked like a charm for pulling the flywheel. It was the stator that was bad. I had it measured with an ohm-meter before switching.

When I bought my outboard I got another stuck identical sparepart outboard with me in the trade. So I could simply take the stator from that, which did the trick.

Thanks for all your advise.

PS. I noticed that one of the two magnets on the flywheel was broken in the middle.... the engine seems to run fine with it. Should I worry about this?

Yeah! If that sucker breaks loose at 6,000 rpm....

Look for another flywheel on Ebay.

Jeff

I actually had a spare flywheel from my spare identical outboard.

Strange thing is that when I mounted the flywheel it went a fraction lower than my old one, which made it touch the engine block a bit on each rotation.

I fixed it by carefully sandpapering off approx 0.5mm of the entire flywheel base and now it rotates freely. It works perfectly without touching the engine block.

Back