Logo

marine vs automotive solenoid

jon

Regular Contributor
" My starter solenoid crapped

" My starter solenoid crapped out on saturday night, as I was flushing the engine. Was heading out again Sunday morning and in a pinch, retro-fitted an automotive starter solenoid in it's place. Later looking at a couple manuals (totally different engines) I found they were filled with warnings about using automotive solenoids and I don't really understand what the problem is. The only real difference is what I have has an "I" terminal, which routes power from the signal terminal, and is unused and that it grounds by the base and not a post. The two circuits are isolated... does anyone know what gives? I'm thinking mabye it's idiot-proofing for when someone connects that "I" to ground?

Jon "

" Jon, a couple of things. Fir

" Jon, a couple of things. First auto solenoids are made to work only in one position. Marine types you can mount any old way and they work. Marine unts usually have contacts that are corrosion resistant, and sometimes are sealed colis. So the extra $ for the marine stuff is usually worth it. Kim "

" Thanks kim, yes, in agreemen

" Thanks kim, yes, in agreement automotive is asking for trouble with corrosion. At that time, would've been happy to find a marine one, but auto-zone was all I had. Will be swapping it out - it's only an extra 7 bucks for a marine, just was trying to figure out why these manuals claim marine solenoids are so taboo. There are very vague diagrams and explaination, with harsh warnings about it in a merc and omc manual I have, seems like a bunch of BS and I wondered if it was me who was missing something or the guy who wrote it.

Jon "

" I'm wondering if somewhe

" I'm wondering if somewhere along the line someone put those extra o-rings and such in those to help keep gasoline vapors from getting ignited from the spark when the solenoid closes. Imagine someone who forgets to run the ventilation blower on his inboard when unbeknownst to him there is just enough gas leaking from the carbs, fittings, tubing, or fuel pump, or spilled into the bilge to make for a spectacularly terrible day. I have heard this is a major difference. I'm no authority on this, but if it is even half true I know which I'd prefer, although I'd still try to do everything possible to avoid the accumulation of gasoline under the cowl. I understand that other components may be different also. (Ignition system, carb, generator, etc.?) I can pinch pennies with the best but there is no substitute for safety. "

" Stu, you are more than corre

" Stu, you are more than correct in stating that there are differences in auto verses marine components. Sometime externally they are the same or maybe minor diffs, but there usually is justification for the extra $ (or $$$$$$) for marine rated stuff. Most of the diffs apply to ignition sources (such as arc guards in altenators, etc), but sometimes they are designed to withstand more vibration, mounting methods or plain old corrosion factors. Bottom line go the marine route, pay the bucks and write it of to dependability and safety. Kim "

Back