Logo

Marine gearbox identification

aquacraftsteve

Hi, Please find attached pics of my gearbox, I'm unsure of what it is, I need a 1 : 1 ratio box and I believe this may not be suitable, much appreciated for your thoughtGearbox pic A.jpg

Attachments

• Gearbox pic B.jpg
    Gearbox pic B.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 4
  • Gearbox pic C.jpg
    Gearbox pic C.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 4
looks like an early version of a Velvet Drive, with no reduction gear, which would make it a 1:1....any good gear shop could tell you which version (71 or 72 series) by the casting numbers...i didn't see a serial number plate...

Thanks for that, looks like I won't have to replace it then, it is attached to my 1.6 Ford Crossflow and is going in a Healey speedboat. The only numbers on the gearbox are the ones cast into it, which read WG DIV 71B-1A

WG DIV likely equates to Warner Gear Division...part of the corporate legacy owners of the product...

and the 71B-1A likely indicates its one of the 71 series products...

WG DIV likely equates to Warner Gear Division...part of the corporate legacy owners of the product...

and the 71B-1A likely indicates its one of the 71 series products...
Hi, That's really interesting, thanks for taking the time thinking that through. I am in no way mechanically knowledgeable, could you tell me how you recognise that it is a 1:1 and that it hasn't got a reduction gear?

Attached, should be a page from a recent owner's manual...look at the two pics in the lower portion of the page. You will visually see the reduction unit in the bottom picture...and the direct drive in the middle. The reduction unit literally goes behind the direct drive unit with an adapter plate...

Attachments

• Borg-Warner Velvet 71C-72C Gears.pdf
    213.6 KB · Views: 2
Back