Logo

M440 Fuel Pump Swap: Lessons Learned

noelct

Regular Contributor
I expected a quick (under 2 hr) replacement of fuel pump of my M440. Sure removing old unit was tight, but no major issue. I've done plenty in a shop atmosphere.

Problems came up with fitting new pump in place. Pump push-rod slipping down and gasket sliding out of place were simple problems that took patience to overcome. Keep in mind that with hands squeezed into position where pump resides, seeing what your hands feel is not possible.

First I had to take a trek from marina to NAPA for a tub of axel grease. I used a wad grease to hold rod up in it's high position. If I failed to do this, timing chain cover would immediately break when engine turned over.

Then the gasket issue. With a shot of spray-tack on seal face of pump and another coating on mating gasket face, a little wait for them to tack-up, then marrying them together did that trick.

Finally, I thought that the mounting holes for the bolts were drilled too small and was questioning the manufacturing qualities. But it occurred to me that they allowed me to sloppily screw bolts into holes loosely. This kept them from falling into bilge, and kept me from holding a 3/8 bolt in my teeth; as I tried before this discovery.

With driving around, thinking about what I had to work with, and getting things done job was closer to 4.5 hours. But success was had. If you have to change your fuel pump on an M440, pay attention to the push-rod. If you don't your season will end the moment you turn the key to start engine. Take your time and have old towels for all the grease that you'll have on your hands. Bringing extra mounting bolts wouldn't be a bad idea either.

,Noel.

replacing the bolts with studs might be a option that could make the task a bit easier

I thought of that, but I'd say no. Pump lever has to go in low, then get placed higher into position. Studs would make placing pump a straight shot, causing lever to hit and drop rod.

Back