Logo

Lower unit repair. 10 hp evinrude 1959

Bg1997

I have a 1959 10 hp evinrude sportwin 10018, from what I gather it's also referred to as a QD20 or its very very similar to a QD20 not entirely sure. Got it for free because there was essentially no lower unit so I have to rebuild one. Found what I feel like is a great tutorial on how to rebuild a lower unit for my model. Now the lower unit has been closed up and filled with oil. Once it's back onto the motor there is no forward gear. If I put the motor into forward there is little to no movement in the prop, id say no movement really. But in neutral the prop goes full reverse. Same thing once it's put into reverse position it continues on in full reverse. It's as if inside the gear case the clutch dog isn't engaging the prop shaft in forward position. Also when the motor is off and in forward if I attempt to spin the prop by hand it spins freely with no resistance. Just at my wits end so here I am.I have seen on some forums people saying to "adjust the shift linkage" but I cannot find anything anywhere to explain how to do that exactly, also saw something about how if the clutch dog is too worn out that could be a problem. I wasn't able to find a forum where someone had my exact problem though. If anyone here has some ideas throw em at me. I could use some helpful advice. Thanks for your time.

I could rebuild it blind folded.-----But for you visit-----leroysramblings-----And get your degree in 1 hr.-----All kinds of information there.------Are notches lined up in the shift rod connecter?----Adjustment can be done at the shift lever.

I could rebuild it blind folded.-----But for you visit-----leroysramblings-----And get your degree in 1 hr.-----All kinds of information there.------Are notches lined up in the shift rod connecter?----Adjustment can be done at the shift lever.
For the shift rod connector if you mean the small notches that are on the end of the upper and lower rods having the bolt lined up in that small notch on both rods then yes. I figured you can adjust it from the lever itself just not sure how or if that's the problem to begin with. I will look at leroysramblings.

I could rebuild it blind folded.-----But for you visit-----leroysramblings-----And get your degree in 1 hr.-----All kinds of information there.------Are notches lined up in the shift rod connecter?--
If you could do me a favor, if you could explain how I would adjust the shift rods at the shift lever please. Never done something like that before. Don't know what to do with. Thank you for your advice.

You cannot adjust that which is loose or worn out. At the brass shift rod connector, can you move the shift rods up & down without moving the shifter handle? Answer should be no. Any movement represents looseness or wear. You can compensate for slight wear but good luck if much more than slight.

.qd20.png

You cannot adjust that which is loose or worn out. At the brass shift rod connector, can you move the shift rods up & down without moving the shifter handle? Answer should be no. Any movement represents looseness or wear. You can compensate for slight wear but good luck if much more than slight.

.View attachment 30795
There isn't any play when I try to move them up or down with pliers

Back