Logo

Lower unit help please?

mssw07

Hey guys, I searched for my issue here but honestly couldn't find it....this is a pretty big and active board. My question is: When I am replacing the lube in the lower unit for my 2015 4 stroke 20hp Mercury can I "top off" the lube via the top oil level hole?? I ask because my fill hole is literally pointing straight toward the ground which means new oil comes pouring out when I remove my hand pump line and ATTEMPT to replace the plug while the oil is coming out...why they positioned this fill hole like this boggles my mind.....unless of course I'm an idiot and missing something obvious...however, referred to my owner's manual and it appears filling from the bottom Fill hole is correct....please help...I don't want to be running on low lube

Fill it from the bottom hole until it comes out of the top hole then replace the top screw, undo the pump and put the lower screw in.

Yes somehow it limits the amount of oil leakage.-----Filling from the bottom till it comes out the top is the only way to ensure the unit is full.----This has been the standard way of filling them for well over 70 years.

The responses help a lot….so, what about my power trim andtilt screw? When I take it off to check ifit’s at the “full level,” power fluid comes pouring out….so obviously it’s fullbut how to keep it from pouring out when I check it? Or how to keep it in when I’m topping off andthen trying to put the screw back in?

The motor has to be in the full up position on it's lock as far as I know. I think you need a repair or owner's manual to help you understand the systems' operations.

Back