Logo

Low rpms 1985 merc 200hp black max

Only thing I can think of is over propped,put any extra weight in the boat lately,maybe a couple 'o' dozen extra beers:D?

Last edited:
Just read your other post. If everything checks out,definitely over propped.You would need to drop to a 17p to get to where you need to be.
Before that,check your boat over,what kind of weight have you on board,is there any water lying in the bilges.
How is your weight distributed? Move a little of the weight towards the stern.

Did this drop in maximum RPM happen suddenly ?---------Any other history ??------Perhaps have the motor tested properly on a dynamometer.---------This will determine if the motor is indeed making the proper power.-------If you go to a smaller pitch prop you will gain RPM , but the motor may still have problems.

Did this drop in maximum RPM happen suddenly ?---------Any other history ??------Perhaps have the motor tested properly on a dynamometer.---------This will determine if the motor is indeed making the proper power.-------If you go to a smaller pitch prop you will gain RPM , but the motor may still have problems.[/QUOTE

Been that way since I had it prop was already on it . May have been worked on. THANKS!:cool:

Normal fishing stuff ,rods,tackle, nothing out of the norm . Mechanic said he couldnt find anything. I will try another prop. I have owned other bass boats just don t feel like the power is there. THANKS:cool:

Have you even checked the compression on this 27 year old engine? If you change prop pitch I would try a 19P before a 17P.

A prop shop would have a " pitch block " to check the prop.-----------At this stage we do not know if the previous owner stuck a good looking 23 " on there to make the sale.-------Perhaps the correct prop was damaged !------We do not know if the tachometer is reading correctly.-----A dyno would verify the power output of the motor and the RPM of the motor since the dyno has it's own tachometer.

YES compression check was ok . according to shop tach is good and you are right could be wrong prop. Will have to locate a dyno dont know of one in my area. THANKS:cool:

Hello again tried another prop 17p rpm went up but still not right for sure engine problem bogging down on start like it may be sucking air . What ya ll think ? THANKS:cool:

Back