Logo

Loss of electrical power after running at cruise speed

joshr

2004 Mercrusier 5.0 (305ci). When I turn off the engine after running at cruise speed for 30 minutes I lose power to the dashboard and the engine will not restart. I still have still have power to things like the horn and blower. There is no power to key ignition, when turned to "on" there is no beep, and no response on any gauges. And then turning the key to "start" there is no engine cranking. After cooling off, perhaps an hour or more, the key "on" returns to normal, all gauges function properly, and the engine starts without issue. The engine runs very smoothly, idles well, but after running again and turning off again there is no power to restart.

Ayuh,..... Remove, 'n clean both ends of both battery cables, to shiny metal clean,..... sounds like corrosion somewhere,....

If that does not fix it, time to get out a voltmeter or a 12V test light and starting at the battery terminals, find out where the electricity stops.

Ayuh,..... Remove, 'n clean both ends of both battery cables, to shiny metal clean,..... sounds like corrosion somewhere,....
Thanks bondo, will try that. I'm running two batteries and neither one provided power to the dash board. That's why I was thinking it wasn't a battery issue, but certainly worth a try.

If that does not fix it, time to get out a voltmeter or a 12V test light and starting at the battery terminals, find out where the electricity stops.
Thanks sandkicker, that was my thought. Perhaps a short somewhere, but thought someone might have a specific spot to look. I'm totally confused on why a warm engine might cause a short, but then when it cools off it allows power to the dash board again. Time to start hunting.

A marginal connection much more likely than a short...you can check the main harness connector - between the engine and the key switch...

Back