Logo

Losing water pressure about half throttle on 1996 60 HP Johnson. Advice needed. J60ELEDR

redlipper

When I open up to about hlf throttle I lose water flow from the telltale and no water coming from the exhaust ports in rear. I can lower throttle back to idle and get flow again. I have pulled the water pump and inspected and it looks it good shape, housing has a couple of small grooves but nothing severe. Upon pulling thermostat I found that the previous owner had taken it out ( I have owned about 3 years).
I am going to replace the water pum anyway since I have it out but I don't know now if this will resolve my problem since it looked in such good shape. At thispoint I am stumped and could use some advice or if anyone else has seen this problem before. I do not want to waste money and time on doing thing that will not fix the problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Model is a J60ELEDR.

Well I installed a new water pump kit and test in a large cattle watering tub. I tried to test in gear ,but could not due to blowing water out of tub so I used the warm up lever all the way up for several minutes at several different times. The water stream increased good as I increased rpm. I held my hand on the motor and it was just warm even at high rpm.
I feel the problem has been resolved, will feel better once I get to test on the water.

Upon close inspection I feel the wear plate along with stiffness in the impellor was the issue.

Back