Logo

loose tiller 60hp

mt hwy

1992 Johnson 60 hp tiller. The tiller arm is really loose at the connection to the steering arm. There is a bracket which attaches the tiller arm assembly to the steering arm of the engine with two bolts and lock nuts. There is lots of play both up and down and left right on that tiller arm bracket/steering arm connection - it feels loose and sloppy. Is this normal? Or, is there supposed to be some type of bushing(s) on the bolts or somewhere in this connection which would tighten it up? I don't see anything other than the two bolts in the parts explosion, and they feel very tight like I can't tighten them any more, the lock nuts appear to crimped around the bolt thread - a more positive lock than a nylon lock nut.

Got it figured out. There was so much grease and dirt build up in that area I couldn't see what was going on. Joined a facebook group called 'OMC Tillers' , guys there look at this stuff all the time and told me what to do - basically tighten the bolts! Two bolts tighten up the tiller arm bracket and steering arm on the motor - tight, and then there are two lock nuts. No play in the tiller at all. I'm good!

Back