Logo

Looking for some help with 280 outdrive...

vladens

Hello, everyone! New to this forums; was referred here by someone...

I'll try to make a long story short... I bought a 86 Bayliner Capri with AQ125B on Craigslist, that later turned out to be "not as advertised". According to seller I only needed to get 1 part that would connect steering to outdrive to make this boat working; and besides that only finish little interior work. After fixing ignition, finding water in crankcase, finding fuel tank full of water, then cleaning and fixing everything I got the engine running.
Now I'm trying to get the outdrive working. I'm new to these I/O motors, and relatively new to boating in general. So far I figured out that original 270 outdrive has been swapped with 280. Drive shaft was already connected, I just had get clamp for the rubber boot... and for exhaust boot too. I figured out how to connect the shifter cable, just had to get couple small parts.

Now, the real pain-in-the-a** was getting the right parts connect steering. New parts seems like they're made out of gold because they cost insane amount of money. So, I've picked some parts on eBay. I went through 2 yokes, 2 helmets & 3 different shoulder bolts to find what will fit. I think I still need some sort of bushing that fits between the helmet and the shoulder bolt, right? Because the way it sits now it seem a bit loose. Can someone help me figure out what part number bushing I need?

My shoulder bolt is #832716. 832716.jpg
Couple of different bushings I found on parts list are 814641 814641.JPG(it doesn't look right because it has threads) and 839697 839697.jpg(not sure about this one either because it is curved).

Maybe it would be easier for to figure this out if I could find a parts fiche for 280.... When I look up AQ125B motor it only shows me 270. Can someone tell me what motor was 280 paired with originally?

Thanks!

The bushing 814641 is the correct one for the bolt 832716. That bushing goes threaded into the helmet. The question is: what is the internal diameter of the bushing you have in the helmet right now? If it is 20 mm, that's the correct one and replacing it won't help much.

The bushing 814641 is the correct one for the bolt 832716. That bushing goes threaded into the helmet. The question is: what is the internal diameter of the bushing you have in the helmet right now? If it is 20 mm, that's the correct one and replacing it won't help much.

Thanks for reply. There is no bushing right now in the helmet at all!
I guess there is a chance I have a wrong helmet again... I can take pictures and post them when I get home.

Sure, that would help. But if everything else fails, I have the right helmet with the bushing installed. PM me if you are interested.

If the helmet is missing a bushing, I can just about tell you that it came loose due to corrosion. DO NOT try to repair this. Instead, purchase a good used helmet with the correct size bushing.

BTW, all single thread style helmet pins are the same OD.
There are two thread sizes, and there are two lengths.

If you have the double bolt pin, the helmet must also be for the double bolt pin.

This is a rather rare spherical bushing that is missing the spherical hard rubber exterior ring.
This works only with the single thread helmet pin.

As for the out drive:
The 280 lower unit will exhaust out the oval shaped horizontal outlet... no flapper unless one of the production models only.
A 270 lower unit will exhaust out the separate and more vertically positioned outlet housing.... all will have the single flapper.
The 275 and 280 transmission will have an oil fill port just above the shift mechanism, off to Stbd sighly..... 270 will not.
The 275 and 280 prop shaft will be internally threaded for the spinner center keeper bolt..... 270 will not be.
The early 280 transmissions may use the single helmet pin..... later were all double bolt pins.

E-Bay is great, but watch out for technical errors in the listings.
Many sellers get the parts description and interchangeability wrong, and quite often to boot.

Check back here if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Back