Logo

Long Shaft Conversion

426hemi

Contributing Member
I have a 1962 long shaft Johnson 40 that I would like to twin. I've found a number of matches out there in good condition except that they are all short shaft models. Does anyone know if there was or is a kit available for adding the extra length? It would need to include the gear box, exhaust and water intake tube extensions as well as the two-piece external cowling. Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thanks.

There should be lots of those kits around used.--These were the same for many years.-------Try E-Bay or place a wanted ad on the --------" aomci " -website.

There should be lots of those kits around used.--These were the same for many years.-------Try E-Bay or place a wanted ad on the --------" aomci " -website.

Thanks racerone. I've now been able to locate the necessary internal parts but no one on E-bay etc. seems to have the cowling pieces. I'll try placing some ads in a few places and see what happens.

Thanks racerone. I've now been able to locate the necessary internal parts but no one on E-bay etc. seems to have the cowling pieces. I'll try placing some ads in a few places and see what happens. BTW, just to show my lack of knowledge, what is the aomci website? Tried that with dot com and dot net but no result.

You can use your gearbox you just need a longer driveshaft and the extentions for the water tubes and shift shaft. You can allways remove the skirt off the one motor so they match until you find another set. They are not performance oriented just fluff. Your gonna want to match up the props also right and left spinning or you will be fighting the steering wheel to go strait.

Thanks. I'll follow up on that and your suggestion on the supplier.

Back