Logo

Lift tilt problem

DMarsh

I have a 2019 Mercury 115 4S EFI on a Bayliner VR4. Last season the lift tilt started acting up. It worked fine up and down UNTIL I brought the engine all the way down. Then it would not lift (left motor would not make any noise when I pressed up but would whine when pressing down). ( both at the throttle handle and the engine). If I released the hydraulics and lifted the engine 6-8 inches, retighten it, the lift/ tilt worked fine up and down unless I went all the way down and the the up stopped working. Dealer replaced the lift motor under warranty and it worked fine for the rest of the season. Stored inside for the winter and upon getting it ready to launch and the problem recurred. Brought it back to the dealer and , wouldn’t you know , we could not replicate the problem. Worked fine. Put it in the water and the problem happened again. I took off the cowling and reversed the motor wires ( blue to green and green to blue) pushed the down button and the motor lifted. I reconnected the blue to blu and green to green and the lift/ tilt works fine. I did not bring it all the way down to see if the problem persists as rain was coming momentarily.

The mechanic at the dealer is baffled ( as am I) and says they have never heard of this problem and it defies logic.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem with a 115 2 stroke Mariner. I replaced all the tilt/trim switches and added a couple of new ones at the motor. I switched the wiring and traced all wiring right to the tilt/trwim switch at the front of the boat. Problem persisted. Eventually I took the tilt/trim motor apart and it was soaking wet inside (I mean totally full to the top with water). I drained out the water, dried it out, sealed the whole thing with liquid neoprene, put it all back together again and I've never had the problem since. Could be maybe water is getting inside your tilt/trim motor? I did that 3 years ago and have never had a problem since.

I had the same problem with a 115 2 stroke Mariner. I replaced all the tilt/trim switches and added a couple of new ones at the motor. I switched the wiring and traced all wiring right to the tilt/trwim switch at the front of the boat. Problem persisted. Eventually I took the tilt/trim motor apart and it was soaking wet inside (I mean totally full to the top with water). I drained out the water, dried it out, sealed the whole thing with liquid neoprene, put it all back together again and I've never had the problem since. Could be maybe water is getting inside your tilt/trim motor? I did that 3 years ago and have never had a problem since.
Interesting. But the dealer replaced the tilt/trim motor last season with a new one and the problem has reoccurred. And it worked fine when I stored the boat in the Fall. Then it did not work when I took it out of storage in the Spring ( But did work when I took it to the dealer last week. ). Now in the water, not working right again.

I spoke too soon. The lift tilt worked correctly for a few months and then reverted to the same problem. However, I played with the motor and when I shook the engine up and down while someone was pushing the up switch, the lift would catch and lift. It also seemed to help if I turned the motor to the left ( pushing the electrical harness into the boat.). This leads me to believe that this might be a loose connection or wrong issue.

Back