Logo

Leaking from Primer solenoid lever (new)

nshows

I just got this part http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7044

I installed it and there is gas just flowing out the switch like there is zero seal. I tried two different switches (I accidentally ordered two) and both are providing zero seal. Is it possible that they have placed the incorrect O-ring on the lever?

Any ideas would appreciated. I followed the instructions from the repair manual and also watched the Dangar Marine video on it. Honestly it is just putting lube on it and turning the knob clockwise into place.

Last edited:
Is this a factory part that you got or something else from internet ?----What was wrong with the primer solenoid that was on the motor ??-----The factory ones are very reliable and rarely need to be replaced !-----The factory offers a repair kit for these units.

Is this a factory part that you got or something else from internet ?----What was wrong with the primer solenoid that was on the motor ??-----The factory ones are very reliable and rarely need to be replaced !-----The factory offers a repair kit for these units.

Sorry I just noticed I put the incorrect link to the part I used. I got this little kit http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7044 (edited above posting)

I got the kit from marineengine. I replaced the last one because one of the knobs for the gas line cracked off. nothing wrong with the primer solenoid just changed the lever and top gasket with the factory repair kit. But now it is just leaking profusely through the lever when I try to start it.

Is there a way to get the size and type of O-ring?

Last edited:
The o-ring appears to be available as a spare part.

yea just frustrating that I got two repair kits and they appear to have the incorrect o-ring on them. I was mostly wondering if this is a probable cause of the leak or if anyone has heard about these kits not having the correct o-ring. I can imagine someone putting the kits together and simply grabbing the incorrect o-ring. pretty simple mistake. but hard to prove. Thanks for the help racerone, as always.

yea just frustrating that I got two repair kits and they appear to have the incorrect o-ring on them. I was mostly wondering if this is a probable cause of the leak or if anyone has heard about these kits not having the correct o-ring. I can imagine someone putting the kits together and simply grabbing the incorrect o-ring. pretty simple mistake. but hard to prove. Thanks for the help racerone, as always.
I Have the exact same problem with my 81 Evinrude 90 HP. i have replaced this part twice now and still the same problem, still leaking out the top.

Back