Logo

Kill switch wiring 1989 Mercury (Tohatsu?) Outboard model 1002201GK 2.2HP (PICS)

YVRNJB

I recently picked up old mercury outboard.

1989 model 1002201GK 2.2HP

I was told that it is made by Tohatsu.

I got it fired up but had to use the choke to shut it off as the kill switch didn't work.

When I took the cover off I noticed that the kill switch wasn't even wired up.

Does anyone have a photo of how this switch is wired or can point me in the direction of a wiring diagram?

Right now it appears that the ignition box is wired directly to underside of flywheel (points?)

Any help would be appreciated.

See photos in this thread:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...el-1002201GK-2-2HP-(PICS)&p=624806#post624806I

Nik

Looks like an M2.5A or A2, which was indeed also sold as a Merc 2.2. If I recall, the distinctive features of that motor are no shifter (starts in gear), and the water pump is on the prop shaft. Very early models were points-type; if you have one of those, get rid of it, as points have been NLA for a long time... or find an olde tyme NAPA with a grey-haired partsman (not a catalog-looker-upper) behind the counter, and try to match up a set of points. Good luck with that. If it has a CD ignition, then it's still an OK motor.

Very early models had a push-to-stop button to ground the ignition and kill it. Later versions had a modern-type kill switch with a stop clip and lanyard. If the kill switch fails on an early version, we would install the later version stop switch.

Regardless, the stop switch grounds the ignition to kill the motor. So look for a brown wire from the magneto to the kill switch (on later models -- might be a different color on a points version), and a black wire from the switch to the block ground.

Looks like you have a points-style ignition. The newer versions have a CD box. Beware that points will be hard to find.
Yes; If you look at the connector in the wire from the points plate to the ignition coil, you will see that it is set for two connectors. One would go to the stop switch; the other lead of the switch will go to ground. The bolt for the coil is a good ground. You may find an aftermarket switch and clip. The Tohatsu part is:
3D5068700MSAFETY SWITCH WITH LANYARD$52.62

Paul, I wanted to give you an update. It turns out the original stop switch was good. I wired it back in and it works perfectly. I also drained the fuel, I think the previous owner had the mix way off (too much oil) i bought a can of pre mixed 50:1 to test. Also, there was barely ANY gap on the plug. I read somewhere that the gap should be 1mm. I couldn’t find my spark plug gap gauge but i found a feeler gauge in my tool box and gapped it to .875. When i got the motor it took me about half an hour of trying to get it started. It now starts from cold in a few pulls. I’ll keep this thing for a while until i can find a newer replacement under 10hp.

Thanks again!

Back