Logo

Just installed fuel water separator, engine dies again and again

emac

Regular Contributor
I just installed a new racor fuel water separator, engine now dies after 10 minutes of running, I pump the bulb and fires right up. My old boat had a primer bulb before the filter, should I put one in there? It ran for a 1/2 hour at the dock after installation. It feels like lack of fuel. when I open drain at bottom of filter gas comes out, so i figure theres fuel in the line, but maybe not enough in the filter can? I did not fill the can with gas when I installed it. any suggestions would be great.

OK, been stewing on this, gonna install bulb between tank and filter, loosen the out hose, pump til gas comes out of it, and try again. a

ok, think its all set, the filter had options to mount to tank from either side, with a plug to put in the input not used. Cranked that way down. Gave the hose clamps an extra tighten. Ran at the dock for over half hour without stalling. Will take out later today if everything goes well. I believe the air was leaking in at the plug.

3 hour cruise, no problems, had her wide open, had her trolling speed. the Lesson here is be secure with your connections.

Back