Logo

just got older johnson need help please

odb1967

my father inlaw passed this motor on to me before he died,it starts up an runs great with the pull cord but it also has a starter on it. there is no switch or button for the starter but there is what looks like a plug on the front of the motor , he never gave that to me so im not sure what i need, its a 1975 model 25hp johnson.does anyone have any idea about the plug or can i just bypass it an maybe hook a switch an battery to start it. i have some pictures that i took but im not sure how to add them to the thread.if someone can tell me how ill add them so you can see what i have , thanks

You are missing the wiring harness that goes forward to the controls and dash. Your motor would usually have a key-switch, electric choke, tachometer wire, and sometimes an amp/volt meter.
If you post the model #... you can look up the wiring diagram.
Here are the model numbers for 1975 Johnson 25's 25E75, 25EL75, 25R75,,25RL75
It's also important to note the COLOR of the plug-in attached to the motor.

You "can" bypass the harness... but your best bet is to buy a set of controls/harness etc from the classified ads, or eBay.

Last edited:
thank you for info,model number is scrached up but i think it say 25R75 maybe but not positive on the E or R...when you talk about the color of the plug on the motor im not sure what plug you mean ,i could show a picture but i dont know how to post it

Post a pic taken from both sides and front of the engine (no cowling).
Are you going to use the engine with remote steering/control or tiller operated?

As for pics there are two ways.
1: Use a program called 'shrink pic', and save on computer.
2: Up-load on photobucket or similar one and post the link.
If using tiller, all you need is a simple start button in the lower cover connected to the starter relay.
However a pick might tell if you have all parts needed on the engine like starter relay, rectifier and if the engine is equipped with a switch to prevent from starting in gear.

phpsqH60PPM.jpgphpV39m1FPM.jpgthanks for info on uplodeing pictures,now maybe this will help my problem by looking at photosphpUC1MLkPM.jpg

Can not see where the solenoid is, but should be there somewhere.
Instead of using the 'original' cable harness with battery cables included (attached in the front contact), I would have re-wired.
Remove the harness and contact in front of the lower cover.
Battery cables straight to ground and Solenoid.
Put a start button somewhere in the lower cover. (From B+ solenoid -button -to 'small' stud on solenoid)
Note that this engine does NOT have any charging of battery.

solenoid is on other side.are you sure it does not have a charging system,i mean why would they put a starter with out it...as you can see i know very little about elect. on boat motors so thanks for all help

solenoid is on other side.are you sure it does not have a charging system,i mean why would they put a starter with out it...as you can see i know very little about elect. on boat motors so thanks for all help
It is no space for a charging coil under the flywheel!
This is common for most of the outboards with breaker ignition systems.
Those who had charging, had a belt driven generator mounted on the side.

I have a very similar motor if not the same (1976 Johnson). I don't want to put a battery in the boat so I will be using the pull start. What about a kill switch though? Can you figure out which two prongs on the plug are for the kill switch? I think I have figured on mine it is the top two but not sure if that is the only purpose of them. I tried it and it worked but not sure if that is a good idea. Could you rig up a toggle for a kill switch with a couple wires? Good idea or bad idea? Might help odb1967 too. Thanks.

Why would you not want a battery in the boat??? When your out on the lake and your old frayed pull rope snaps on the second pull, you'll wish you had a battery for the electric start!!

Back