Logo

Johnson/Suzuki 50hp 4 stroke issues

J_Waldrop3

Last summer engine was throwing no oil alarm. I pulled it out checked everything out and it checked out good. Now this summer (yesterday) I had bought out water temp light came on then check engine and it went to SLOW mode. At first I was thinking it is something electrical feeding the instrument cluster. Could it be that? But now I’m just going to replace water pump for peace of mind. What else could cause overheat other then obvious water pump. I would hate to change the water pump and still be in SLOW mode maybe something easier I could check with the boat in the water thanks!

Change the water pump impeller.-----I picked up one of these motors for parts years ago.----Overheated to the point of melting the plastic timing chain tensioners.----Scrap it was.

Change the water pump impeller.-----I picked up one of these motors for parts years ago.----Overheated to the point of melting the plastic timing chain tensioners.----Scrap it was.

that’s definitely where I’m going to start. I’m just hoping something in the ecm doesn’t have to be flashed or scanned to reset it once I change it. I don’t want it in limp mode once I change it (if the impeller is in fact the problem) which I feel sure it is

Back