Logo

Johnson Outboard Carb Help Wanted

Amphipod

I have a 1957 Johnson Seahorse outboard engine, model RD-19. We got it at an auction, and it is in overall real good shape. It looks like it has not been run in many, many, years. I took the carb apart, and it needs a real good cleaning. Here are my questions:
What is the black thing on the fuel pickup in picture #1? I could not find it in the parts diagrams. It looks like it used to be a seal.
Is whatever it is necessary?
Is there anything specific I need to check on an engine this old?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 8
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 8
Need to do a complete evaluation before spending any $$$ on this motor.----That is a seal for the nozzle.---Fuel is metered into this nozzle from the needle valve in bottom of the bowl.------Modern equivalent is available at most boat shops with a gray-haired mechanic.----I have some on hand for my own motors.----Need to pull flywheel to inspect ignition coils / breaker points.-----Post the compression actual values here.----Will need a new water pump impeller if you get this running well.

Need to do a complete evaluation before spending any $$$ on this motor.----That is a seal for the nozzle.---Fuel is metered into this nozzle from the needle valve in bottom of the bowl.------Modern equivalent is available at most boat shops with a gray-haired mechanic.----I have some on hand for my own motors.----Need to pull flywheel to inspect ignition coils / breaker points.-----Post the compression actual values here.----Will need a new water pump impeller if you get this running well.
Thanks! Would a new seal come in a carb rebuild kit? And is the impeller something you replace on a motor this old, regardless of how much it was used? Thanks again.

???-----I do not believe that motor has an overheat warning system.-----Or a system that stops the motor in case of overheating.------Therefor a wise owner would install a new rubber water pump impeller every 5 years.

Yes they are.-----Part # of the kit you are looking at?-----And do the complete evaluation before spending any beer tokens on this motor.----Post the actual compression test results.----Remove flywheel and inspect ignition coils before ordering the carburetor kit !

OK, I will. How do I do a compression test? It doesn't have electric start, and it has a compression release for pull starting. Thanks!

Back