Logo

Johnson Model 115ETL78C

Johnobub

I just bought a 1978 Johnson 115 V4
Seahorse model 115ETL78C.

The previous owner said it runs but has water coming out of the hole on the back and from the tell tale. He said it used to not come out of the hole and only from the tell tale.

What would cause water to come out of the hole? It comes out on the right hand side looking from the back of the motor.

I cannot see or hear your motor.-----There are 2 holes under the lower cowling and water does spit out at idle.----And a " new to you " motor needs a new impeller.-----And post compression test numbers on this motor.----

I just bought a 1978 Johnson 115 V4
Seahorse model 115ETL78C.

The previous owner said it runs but has water coming out of the hole on the back and from the tell tale. He said it used to not come out of the hole and only from the tell tale.

What would cause water to come out of the hole? It comes out on the right hand side looking from the back of the motor.
Subject.png
I cannot see or hear your motor.-----There are 2 holes under the lower cowling and water does spit out at idle.----And a " new to you " motor needs a new impeller.-----And post compression test numbers on this motor.----

I uploaded a picture to show the location of the holes at the back and the hole the water comes out with a white oval around the hole the water I’m planning to do a compression test today. If the compression test is good I am planning to change plugs and impeller or do a full water pump change. I attempted the compression test two days ago but the battery wouldn’t turn the motor over, all it did was make a click when I turned the key.

Are there any Johnson service manuals available for this model? What does the C stand for in the model number?

Thank you for your help.

Does having water coming out of the hole in addition to the tell tale water coming out indicate an overheating condition in the motor or is it a normal occurance to have extra water coming out of the hole plus the tell tale water? Why is water only coming out of the right hand side hole and not on the left hand side hole?

The C means nothing to you.------Water should spit out of both those holes at idle.-----More water comes out at full throttle.-----Lots of manuals available.

Manuals available on E-BAY and right here on this site.-----Don't put too much faith in what the seller said to you !!!

Well, he said the motor was running fine and he was using the boat till the last time he took it out, before COVID, when he noticed water coming from the hole on the right side. Would water coming from only the right side indicate a blockage on the left hole or could that still be normal operation of the motor?

He said he had not used the boat since before COVID and he bought a newer boat.
He said he didn’t work on the Johnson motor or do anything with it.

It’s my first day on here and I’m not familiar how to get a manual. Could you send me the link to a manual or send me an item number on eBay?

Sorry,----I had a conversation with an individual who was looking for a used part.----After 10 minutes I jokingly said " this should be worth a case of small drinks "-----He said " no problem " and sure enough he brought some when he picked up the part.------Take the time to research and click on this site and you will find what you need.

The C means nothing to you.------Water should spit out of both those holes at idle.-----More water comes out at full throttle.-----Lots of manuals available.
Why would the C mean nothing to me? I’m the owner of the motor.

Send a link to the manual and I’ll take a look at it.

The C identifies any mid-year engineering changes for that model IF any mid-year changes were made. Otherwise, it means nothing. Water is supposed to spit out of one or both of those holes in varying amounts.

Believe it.

That is normal for that water to come out of the other hole. I have the same exact motor and it has always done that. Maybe the guy just never noticed it before.

Back