Logo

Johnson/Evinrude J10RSLW What is it?

Ky Howard

Contributing Member
I bought this and can't figure out just what it is. Its model number is J10RSLW but I cannot find the model number here in the ID Tables. It would seem to be a Johnson 10 HP, Rope start which I agree, but the SLW doesnt come up. It has an extension (6-8") and I found where the C could identify a Commercial application. Nor do the lists have any Commercial indicators. Can anyone shed some light. I'd like to be sure of Year, HP and ust what does Commercial mean if is that indeed what it is. Thanks

Post a picture , that always helps.-----It is a 1982 model.-----Does it have the 10" extension ?----Electric start.----Battery charging.-----Say---" sailmaster " on the cowling ?

Last edited:
Post a picture , that always helps.-----It is a 1982 model.-----Does it have the 10" extension ?----Electric start.----Battery charging.-----Say---" sailmaster " on the cowling ?

The extension is 5", Rope Start, no electric starter, nothing indicating charging capability and nothing on the cover. It is a CD ignition. I noted that the lower gear case that has the propeller shaft, has a horizontal fin cast into it that resembles a whale tail to gain extra lift.

The extension is 5", Rope Start, no electric starter, nothing indicating charging capability and nothing on the cover. It is a CD ignition. I noted that the lower gear case that has the propeller shaft, has a horizontal fin cast into it that resembles a whale tail to gain extra lift. The other thing I thought strange is though it was painted black, poorly, all the housing except the lower gear case is Evinrude blue but the gear case is Johnson olive green and the ID plate indicates "
J10...."

Then it sounds like a " commercial " model at least as far as the gearcase ( prop guard ) is concerned.----Limited production and not worth listing in the parts books.-----There is nothing " heavy duty " on commercial models.-----But it sounds like it is not in original condition so all bets are off.----Pictures may help.

Back