Logo

JOHNSON 70HP Trim & Tilt problemS

fernandos

model :J70TLCIM

after I came home from fishing I washed motor noticed both Trims started leaking fluid but not the tilt ram.
next day there was a small puddle of hydraulic fluid on my driveway.
filled it up with fluid turned on trim tilt up/down all work fine but the leak getting worse.
fluid is coming out from the centre of the End Caps rubber seal.
today I tilt the motor up/down and I got horrible noise coming from my tilt ram.
sounded like an old rusted door hinge very loud, checked fluid is full could it be air in the tilt?
trying to get seal kit.
just wondering how do I bleed the system?
thank you

The unit is "Self Bleeding".... no need to be concerned.

Impossible for the unit to be full however since it has been leaking, and yes... when fluid leaks out, air leaks in, or water. Water will tend to cause the fluid to become milky and/or discolor the PTT fluid... keep that in mind.

Have unit in full tilt up position... fill reservoir... replace fill screw plug... tilt up/down a few times... refill reservoir... repeat until reservoir is still full "at full tilt position" when screw drain plug screw is removed.

The unit is "Self Bleeding".... no need to be concerned.

Impossible for the unit to be full however since it has been leaking, and yes... when fluid leaks out, air leaks in, or water. Water will tend to cause the fluid to become milky and/or discolor the PTT fluid... keep that in mind.

Have unit in full tilt up position... fill reservoir... replace fill screw plug... tilt up/down a few times... refill reservoir... repeat until reservoir is still full "at full tilt position" when screw drain plug screw is removed.

thank you for the help.
decided to remove all the oil out to check maybe water got in etc.
there is no water mixed with oil colour has not changed.
that's a good sign.
wondering can I loosen the screw to manually tilt up/down.
will it affect getting air in the system?
the battery is getting low takes a while to charge.
my other question is.
I'm finding hard to buy a seal kit they all look same.
I'm worried I'm going to buy the wrong part.
I have been looking at part number drawing all parts seem to be bought, individualy
I'm after a kit or maybe I just need the end cap seal, whats your advice?

The manual release valve is within a hole near the bottom portion of the starboard side transom bracket.
Loosen that manual release valve just two full turns... no more as you could back its sealing O Ring into a retaining clip that'll cut it.

Why buy a whole kit when all you need is the seals for one Trim Ram. as follows:

1 - 328227 - Quad Ring - $9.50 (here)
1 - 122494 - Wiper - $10.29 (here)

The above are the only two sealing items in the center of the trim cylinder caps.

has anyone ever said you're a genius?
wish you were here I would buy you a beer!
thank you for the help.
I will get the seals & I will keep in touch.
I will let you know how I go with the install.
thanks

The manual release valve is within a hole near the bottom portion of the starboard side transom bracket.
Loosen that manual release valve just two full turns... no more as you could back its sealing O Ring into a retaining clip that'll cut it.

Why buy a whole kit when all you need is the seals for one Trim Ram. as follows:

1 - 328227 - Quad Ring - $9.50 (here)
1 - 122494 - Wiper - $10.29 (here)

The above are the only two sealing items in the center of the trim cylinder caps.
Hey Joe, mine is leaking around the manual release valve, just bought it, what needs done to replace the O ring ?

Back