Logo

Johnson 70 1995 electrical issues

Neavesie

Earlier I posted and found I had a blown fuse. Since then I blow a 20A fuse every 20 seconds. Also I saw a current of 18v??
Here is some history first because im not sure if I resolved the issue or its coming back.

Since I bought my boat the buzzer would only sound sometimes when turning key on. (Didnt do anything about it)
Occasionally the engine wouldnt crank. (I checked starter motor and brushes and found the issue was just the battery.)

Now since I had the 20A fuse blowing I noticed the tacho sitting on 1000rpm even when off.
I did a little research and found how to diagnose amperage draw and from the fuse I had a constant 19A when key turned on.
I disconected one plug at a time untill the Amps went to normal, around 0.7 I think it was. When this happened the buzzer sounded and I noticed the tacho was now at 0rpm. All I did was take off the back box with all the wires that go into it. I had done this other times but not with the multimeter connected to the fuse socket. The only thing that actually disconnected was an earth wire when the meter was connected, coincidence? I then noticed that a plug behind it had 2 orange wires missing that runs from the black box to under the fly wheel. Im assuming where the timing and spark gets created??
The two orange wires are spliced together to bypass the plug as the plug actually had corroded terminals hance this work around.

So did I reset something by removing the earth wire when power was present? Was I just Lucky? Could there be a loose wire hidden under the fly wheel?
Faulty black box? Faulty component somewhere else?
No Idea wher to currently go from here.

If the motor is running correctly when you don't have a problem with the fuse, I'd check that plug for other issues with other wires and correct them all with water proof heat shrink connections. What else doesn't work with that ground (earth) wire disconnected? What is the alarm for? Overheat or something else? When the ground wire was disconnected, did you try cranking the motor to see if the tachometer actually worked correctly? Will the motor crank with that wire disconnected? You should be able to find a wiring diagram for that black box that tells you what all the wires are for.

Ok thanks for the help. I'll go from there and see what eIse I can find out with those wires and black box. I do currently have a wiring digram in the Johnson Service Manual but it doesnt have any mention what the components are. I will look for something more detailed.

Back