Logo

Johnson 6hp question

Shayneh2006

Hi there from Australia.

So I bought an old Johnson 6hp on FB marketplace for $50’that is in need of some love before it’s ready for use.

After spending some time researching the parts schematics, I can’t seem to find any information on the purpose of what looks like a plug socket mounted on the lower cowl. I searched both the cowl and magneto groups but can’t see any reference to what this is.

Looking at the fitting externally, it appears to be possibly a power socket however, internally, there is no wiring to chase to its origin as t to he wiring may have been removed by others.

What is this plug for ?
If it is an electrical socket, where does it run to and where does it obtain it’s power (assuming magneto) ?
Finally, can a male adapter still be sourced to connect to the socket ?

Thanks in advance for any help

D4CDFFD6-9874-48E6-A780-775192393A66.jpeg

0B8E88CA-945E-467C-9D0C-32B511873818.jpeg

That is for running boat lights.-----AC power and just enough to run lights.---Install a new impeller before going fishing.

Thanks for the reply.

I have found another of the same vintage on FB market place that I will be collecting this afternoon. This one is a Johnson and is in real fine condition. The seller claims only been used a handful of times (will post some photos when I get it)

It too has the power adapter on the side, and once I get it can test for power being produced to the socket.

It does seem kind of strange OMC does not reference the part in any schematics or parts charts. Also, pretty useless is the socket if the make connector plug to connect to it is not available???…… Unless I am missing something, I cannot see any reference to either in the drawings and parts shown ??

Thanks

Not strange at all.-----You find the parts listed under accessories.----But no longer in production.----So you go to an electrical supply and pick out some plug / socket that can be fitted.

I got it am OMG she is in fine condition. It was dark when I arrived home with it so will check it out further tomorrow. Seller claims it was his grandfathers, found covered and stored during an estate clearout !!!!….. Appears to have had next to no use 👌

71C09566-2EA7-4183-9803-48D0DBFB1CAE.png

Back