Logo

Johnson 60hp VRO outboard choke

Patrick88

I have an 86 Johnson 60hp outboard and have done the vro conversion to get rid of the oil pump. It ran fine for awhile and I cleaned the carbs and did the adjustments the book says to do to put the motor and controls within spec. I have discovered that if I start the engine and try to accelerate, it will bog down and stall. If I start it and manually open and close the choke once, it runs with no problem. But as soon as I shut it off and start again I have to do it again. I have replaced the choke solenoid and verified that it is getting proper readings with a multimeter. What else could cause this?

The electric primer is not a choke.---It is merely an electric valve.----Key is to be pushed in and held in while cranking it over.

The electric primer is not a choke.---It is merely an electric valve.----Key is to be pushed in and held in while cranking it over.
That is the one with the red switch on it right? I have to manually turn that from closed to open and back for the engine to function normally and not stall

The red lever opens the valve manually.----Lever does not have to be moved if it functions with the key.----And did you confirm that high speed jets in the carburetor bowls are clean !

Back