Logo

johnson 33 hp, drive shaft/lower shift rod ?

tictok

Hi, I am new to outboard motor repair,but mechanically inclined I have a johnson service manual but they are short on details, doing a long to short shaft conversion, I have standard shaft/shift rod for swap out, 5" extension case removal,and I need to cut water tube 5", shifter is in neutral..etc. going to replace water pump, questions are
1) after removing prop should i lock in prop shaft 'pinion gear' when removing drive shaft for alignment/ easier installing new driveshaft.
2) lower shift rod removal, in manual diagram there is a pivot pin, is this retaining the shift rod in the gear case, or does shift rod thread into shift linkage. do i have to open gearcase for shift rod removal, in resetting shift rod height adjustment, what is the measurement
3) in doing this conversion are there any steps i am missing, alignment issues,seals or o-rings, internal oil/grease, that should be replaced during the swap of parts, the manual is great but the devil in the details may not be in print. 'Also if anybody can recomend a more in depth service manual, more like a pro series ? appreciate your time and help David

Not sure which year you have but based on the 1970 model ( http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1970&hp=33&model=33002M) here goes. 1: no because you will want to rotate the drive shaft/ impeller to get the fins seated properly. 2: the pin holds the shaft to the pivot which rides in the shifter cradle. The pin is held in place by a cotter pin. You will need to open the gear case to remove the shifter shaft and pull the prop shaft out of the way as you work the rod out. No measurement for height adjustment just align the screw holes in the brass shift shaft coupling with the notches in the rod ends. 3: Since you opened the gear case plan on replacing all the seals in the lower unit. Alignment issues are the water tube to the impeller housing grommet and working the shift shaft into the coupler. As for things that could be wrong: 1: did you get the short bolt for the gear case to exhaust housing? 2: do you have the short shift shaft coupler? There are 2 versions of long shaft shifter rod setups. One has the short lower rod with a 5" longer coupler and the other has the standard coupler with a 5" longer lower rod. If the motor currently has the shorter coupler only remove the lower bolt which will allow you to drop the lower unit. The bolts for the coupler are easy to cross thread and strip out the threads.

Back