Logo

Johnson 30 hp. Help with timing

Norcalshoot

Hi I have recently acquired a bayrunner 15 with a 1991 Johnson 30. Model j30elenr. It runs great on the high end but I feel it could run a little better at idle and high idle. I have ordered a Service manual but it won’t get to me for a week so I’m looking for a little info before it gets here.
First question does anyone know about a service bulletin which has the throttle roller contact the cam at a different location other than the two marks? I can’t find it.
second. Could someone explain how to set up this timing for the cam and throttle roller for low rpm? There is a large Stop screw on the port side of the engine that seems to be the adjustment for base timing maybe? I could be wrong. On the motor the screw is maxed, spring compressed And it looks like someone bent the metal tab in to attempt to increase this adjustment more. I’ll try to post pictures. This adjustment is where the linkages first come to the motor.
at idle the double marks on the high idle cam are lined up with the roller. It won’t retard beyond the marks. Is this right?

You only set maximum timing advance on those motors.-----It is factory set and normally needs no adjustment?-----Idle timing is the point where throttle plate opens.-----Actual timing when motor is idling does NOT MATTER.

Back