Logo

Johnson 28 SPL sputtering low rpm

ddmacks

i issue prior to this was it would not hold idle without the choke, i took the carb off and rebuilt it which fixed that problem. now it idles like a champ but when i go to give it full throttle it just goes brrrr and stalls or bogs out. i then tried just putting the boat in gear and give it a little gas, it doesn’t die out but it sputters pretty bad. next thing i did was put the boat in gear and go back and forth from little to full throttle and that got the rpms to jump and boat took off, gets on plane but still doesn’t have full power like it used too. all fuel lines are clean, the ball on the line going from tank to engine is hard, no gas leaking, vent on gas tank is OPEN, good spark on both and good compression on both, idle screw on top of carb is 1.5 turns out seems to be its best position. i’m completely stumped, i’m no expert what so ever when it comes to outboards, rebuilding the carb was on this was the first time i ever rebuilt a carb, but it was easy. i have no clue where to even begin now ANY help or pointers is greatly appreciated! thanks guys!
-matt

Are you sure there is not a partial clog in the carb?You could have actually created a clog in it if you cleaned it?All your linkages back together properly?Float adjusted and check new needle is not sticking.You may want to re-clean it and and really get after the high speed circuits best you can.I cleaned mine for an idle issue last year and thought it was good.I was wrong there was still a small piece of something in it and I cleaned the heck out of it again with cleaner and air and finally dislodged something in there and it was fine then.Also, I guess you say it ran fine before that except for idle so your Link and Sync adjustments must have been good correct?Hope that helps.

Back