Logo

johnson 225 v-6 probs

tjdriver

newbie boat owner here.

i just picked up an aquasport with a 225 johnson ocean pro on the back. the motor was jamming after about 8-9 revolutions of the motor. i pulled the lower unit off last night and the motor now spins fine. i havn't tried to put fuel to the motor yet to see if it actually runs. the lower unit was full of water and i found metal shavings/pieces in the water and what remained of the oil. i havn't fully disassembled the lower unit yet. i'm wondering if it worth my time to rebuild it
or if i should just buy another one. there is a guy selling one in Destin for 400. i found gears as cheap as 250 online. is there anything i should do to the motor before putting fuel to it and trying to get it to run? i'm gonna clean out the carbs with carb cleaner.

my main problem is i have never done any boat work before. i'm currently on my 3rd jeep wrangler. my current jeep is on 38s with 9" of lift. i can do most of the work on my jeep so i'm pretty savvy with a wrench.

i just need to know some dos and don'ts of messing with this motor and lower unit.
any advice is appreciated

what would be a good repair manual to pick up for my motor?

thanks

craig

Hi Craig,

We have parts diagrams and parts available. We also have OEM manuals for that motor. Take a look here: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php#manuals

I'd say tear that gearcase down and see what it looks like inside. If only the gears are bad you're might want to just rebuild it, that way you know what's inside. A used gearcase is easier, but you never really know what you're getting.

Have fun! -James @ MarineEngine.com

update. we fired up the motor after pulling the lower unit. the motor cranked on the first try and ran fine. now i have to figure out what i'm going to do with the lower unit. local shops say a refirbed unit is 1200-1800. i still have a bead on a used one for 400.

i'm working on getting a trailer also so i can pull the boat outta the water to do the rest of the motor work and a good cleaning.

that's a way better price than the local shops are quoting me! thx!

i'm trying to find out more info on the motor. i tried looking it up in the parts section.

my model # is J225VXSSS the closest model # i found was J225VXSIF

Back