Logo

Johnson 225 on 21xd bullet top speed 48mph

andyjwow

Hi guys, I have a 1994 21xd bullet with a 2000 johnson 225. I will have to get the prop size currently on it because I cant remember, but I think its around a 25P 3 blade tempest. It was on the engine when I got it from a guy stating he was running 68-71mph on a 21 skeeter. It would run decent last year until you shut it off to fish and try and start it back up. It would just bog down and not go past 1500rpm. I switched fuel pumps from a used motor and it didnt fix it. So I put a red holly electric fuel pump on it and it seems to be working now but not going past 4550 rpm and 48mph. The hole shot is awesome stands up and sits down in about a second, but the top end speed doesnt feel there. It takes off fast then just kinda goes. I trim and it picks up a little but I get to a point where trimming up isnt making it go any faster. I took it out yesterday and I felt a small hesitate for maybe a split second at WOT a few times but it went away. Where do I start lol.

I tested the compression last year and they were almost all the same #
Redid all the fuel lines, checked for air leaks with a clear hose.
changed plugs
checked if carbs where fully open at WOT.

Could a plug be dieing at WOT to cause a 1000 rpm loss? If so how can you check. I do not have a peak voltage adapter to check the power packs but I do have 2 sets that was on my old engine.

I had the same issue this past year. My problem turned out to be the stator. You should do a cylinder drop test with a timing light. to rule out a bad coil.

Back