Logo

Johnson 225 hp carb issues

zimnucks

Contributing Member
Ive got a 225 hp and the motor runs rough , it idles a bit high (1000-1100rpm) it also seems to smoke a lot . When it idles every now and then there will be a huge puff of smoke out the exhaust , any ideas ?

Not enuff info here.-------------Is this running on a hose ?------Running in the lake ?--------------Did problem start suddenly ?-----Gradually getting worse.--------Carburetors kept clean ?----------Year or model # ?

Mod #J225TXEDE , Ser# G04115063 .Yes I was running it on the hose , the boat just arrived on Island so Im not sure about the history , the carbs were full of oil so I presume it sat for a while

Do a compression test first.-----------Then run it with a timing light and observe the flashing light on each cylinder.-----------Intermittent flashing may indicate plug / plug wire / or ignition problems.-----------Remove a couple of high speed jets ( orifice ) and look for green varnish / gum deposits.

If you are running on a hose make sure your motor is all the way down or it is going to miss, My crossflow TX175 does the same
thing with the blue smoke . 100 RPM'S on hose is normal, you adjust your RPM's when in the water an in gear, which will drop down to 650-700
do the compression test and timing like Racerone said also because if you have 5 cylinders at 95/100 and one at 50 the motor is also going to run like crap

Along with what Racerone suggested above, not to sound like a broken record but, Pull the pulse limiter hose off and check for fuel. I have replaced 6 vro pumps and 2 power heads this year due to fuel leaking into the pulse hose from the pump.

Back