Logo

Johnson 1998 50hp Electrical Issue (fuse burning almost each startup)

boat_guy

I have Johnson 1998 50hp J50PLEEA with BRP-type remote control (aftermarket).
1695001682507.png

I had to re-wire everything during rebuild process so I may have missed something. Now I am experiencing issue with onboard 20A fuse. Almost each time when I attempt to start, it would start or crank but end up with burn fuse. Initially I suspected ignition key(aftermarket) so I replaced it with OEM ignition. Still the same issue.

To identify issue I disconnected starter and did some electrical testing with multimeter.
wiring circuit.png

Everything seems to be fine from following tests.

wiring circuit testing 1.pngwiring circuit testing 2.png

Now the issue that I found: When I attempt to start motor(starter disconnected) positive(+) and negative(-) wires become shorted and stay shorted even with key in ON position, but if I unplug remote control(6 pins square plug) - short disappear. While short is detectable, wires getting warm to the touch.

Also the big question: Should battery negative be grounded to boat hull (aluminum boat)? The reason I am asking is that remote control body and boat hull are not connected to battery negative.

Thank You

You just need to run a ground wire all the way back to the battery and I think you'll be good. The motor is grounded to the battery, everything else should be too.

Back