Logo

Johnson 1989 25hp outboard compression test

jimboba

Hi all. I am buying my first boat for my son and have a found good small runabout with a 25hp Johnston outboard. Its had 3 owners and seems to of been really well looked after and flushed in fresh water as every use. The owner mentioned that a compression test was recently done on the last service and came it at 105psi. Does this seem ok for its age? Anything that can be recommeded would be much appreciated.

Compression values are not published.----There are too many variables between gauges and test methods.---------The most important thing is that they are the same for both cylinders in your case.--------------Hopefully this motor was never run on 100:1 as some motors were in the late 80's.----------Excellent motors and many were built between 1980 and 2000.----So lots of parts new and used are and will be available for some time to come.

Compression values are not published.----There are too many variables between gauges and test methods.---------The most important thing is that they are the same for both cylinders in your case.--------------Hopefully this motor was never run on 100:1 as some motors were in the late 80's.----------Excellent motors and many were built between 1980 and 2000.----So lots of parts new and used are and will be available for some time to come.

Thanks Mate....much appreciated

Back