Logo

Johnson 1975 6 HP Water in lower cylinder

6tring

Contributing Member
Hi All, My first post on the forum.

Maybe one of you mechanics can help.

I am finding water in the lower cylinder and no compression. The upper cylinder is dry and is reading 85-90 lbs. I do not see any visual evidence of and out ward leaking gasket anywhere. Everything thing else seems fit. This came on sudden with loss of power. Able to get back to the dock on one cylinder.

Thanks for reading.

Blown head gasket.----Fix it now as water inside an engine does serious damage.----Replacement ( sierra ) are a better quality than the original.

Blown head gasket.----Fix it now as water inside an engine does serious damage.----Replacement ( sierra ) are a better quality than the original.

Thanks for your advice. I just removed the head and found the gasket to be a mess and fragile. A lot of scale to be cleaned up in the water jackets. Will be replacing the thermostat as it is gunked up with scale.
Putting an order in for parts in the morning at Marine Engine .com

Installed head gasket and new thermostat. Compression now on both cylinders 80-85 lbs. fired right up for the bucket test ran true and pumped a lot of cooling water. To the lake with it soon for the final smoke test. Fast parts delivery with MarineEngine.com

Back