Logo

Johnson 175 Ficht runs only with key turned to start

Andy_Man

1997 Model E175GLEUE. It starts and runs great, as long as you hold the key in the start position. I checked the key switch, it is not grounding out in the run position. The stator ohms (power coils) are within spec between the orange and orange/black (55 ohms) and it is not shorted to ground from the either of these. This test was done according to CDI, I already bought a new CDI stator. The OMC manual says to check ohms between the brown and brown/white, it should read 1100 ohms. But the meter doesn't change when connected to the brown and brown/white on either the old stator or the new one (?) I do not have a peak reading voltage meter and I do not want to start throwing more money at this. Question, has anyone seen this before? And, would it even run if the power pack was bad?

1) First it not a Ficht.... 2) DVA test the voltage off the power coil(org wire) 3) check connector into pack. The symptom your are posting is no voltage from power coil to pack

1) First it not a Ficht....

Pardon me, a 1997 Johnson Looper.

DVA test the voltage off the power coil(org wire)

Would this be the two orange wires among the 4 brown wires in the 6 wire starboard harness connector to the power pack? Or is it the 2 orange wires in the separate 2 wire connector?

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and ordered a DVA adaptor for my Fluke meter, $26, it's better than spending $200 on a new power pack.

I'm getting 17 volts from the orange leads of the power coil at cranking speed (no running engine.) This is with the coil connected to the power pack.

Back