Logo

Johnson 150 V6 VRO Oil change advice

erictheviking

"Hi,

I'd like to change

"Hi,

I'd like to change the oil in the lower unit of my 1987 Johnson 150 V6 VRO Outboard.

Looking at the manual it says to fill the unit via the bottom hole?

At the risk of sounding stupid, how do you fill a gearbox by using the lower of two holes? Is there a special tool to pump the oil up into the lower unit? Doesn't the oil just run straight out?

Any tips on this procedure greatly appreciated!
happy.gif
"

"Yes, they make a pump that at

"Yes, they make a pump that attaches to a qt bottle of L/U oil. Remove both the drain plug and the vent plug. Screw the hose off the pump into the drain plug, then pump oil in until it starts to come out the vent hole. Put the vent plug in, then remove the hose and put the drain plug in. Be sure to use new gaskets on both plugs."

What oil do I use? Do I have to use the manufacturer or what weight? Just bout an 1988 ranger 393v w the same engine year 1987

OMC HPF Pro/ Qicksliver High-Performance Gear Lube/Starbright High Performance Gear Lube/Lucas M8 gear oil and what I use in all mys customers.. Mystik JT4 Marine gear oil from O'Reilly

Looks like their pump might fit the motor as well

Sierra Marine Pump - 042905
Yes, that pump should work just fine. Remove the upper vent screw, then the lower screw to drain. While filling the LU, leave the vent screw out and pump the gear oil until you see it running out the top hole. Insert the upper screw then remove the filler hose and quickly install the lower drain/fill screw.

Also, a good measure is to get new nylon washers for each of the screws and replace those so you know you have a water tight seal. These are part# 0311598 on the gearcase parts diagram.

LU.jpg

Back