Logo

Johnson 150 High Idle

ranger482

Hello Everyone, I have a 1994 Johnson Fast Strike 150 and I have a high idle problem. I was running down the lake about 3500 rpms, and I switched from starboard to port fuel tanks via a ball switch. Motor is running well all the way to the ramp. As I came off plain, and slowed to idle the motor started to fast idle to 2000 rpms all on its own. I turned the motor off and started it back up. Went from fast idle to slow in a couple seconds. After about 30 seconds the motor started to idle up to 2000 rpms all on its own. If someone could please help me with some diagnostic aids I would really appreciate it. Thank You for your time.

Go to shop.evinrude .com and look up your mtr. Then go to throttle linkage and look for part # 584914. It's on top of the mtr and is part of the ignition system.

AHH the optic sensor, sorry it was late... I Know exactly what your talking about, I did one on my buddies boat becuase it would just die whenever it felt like it... My concern is how would that cause the engine to rev on its own? And does the power pack control advancing the timing? Should I do both?

The thing that would happen on the old ones was that the " eyes would get crossed on them" causing this problem. Try the sensor first.

Well it turns out it was the quick start... Replaced the power pack, coils and plugs gapped to .030 Runs like she used to... Shes a beaut and until something structural happens, Im going to keep her

Well there Boobie... It was fine for about a week... Then turns out to be a faulty optical sensor... You had it all along!!! Thanks my friend!

Back