Logo

Johnson 140 spark dwell handle

stop8

Hi

I have a Johnson 140hp, V4, 1993. I was out this weekend and the engine began to loose power intermittently. It would work fine at tick over and low revs but there was no real power there when trying to accelerate.

I took the cover off and noticed the spark dwell handle handle had worked its way completely loose. I reattached it but don't know what position it should be in or how to adjust it properly if someone could offer some advice please?

The engine has new spark plugs and cables and the carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt using an ultrasonic cleaner.
Thanks

One of the few "spark dwell handles" left in existence. Many have long ago broken.

Just turn it in or out til it idles at a reasonable speed (750) in gear on the water.

If you want to really dig into it....turn it in or out til a timing gun shows about 4* ATDC when idling at 750 in the water, and in gear.

Tjpascoe, Pull thermostat on hot cylinder bank,should be at top of head,tan single wire attached to it,usually a threaded brass plug screwed into head, Suspend stat in a pot of boiling water and observe should open around 150-160 degrees,roughly around 3mm. A digital infrared thermometer gun will help diagnosis19.00 dollars at harbor freight

Back