Logo

Johnson 130hp v4 moisture in cylinder

FendtLad

Hi all,

I have a 1994 Johnson 130hp V4, We have an issue with the engine not firing on all 4 cylinders when cold and under load. Once the engine revs increase and you start to plane the 4t h cylinder will slowly kick in then your away and won’t fault for the rest of the day. It only does this when it’s been parked up for more than a couple of days.

I hadn’t replaced the plugs since we owned it so thought I would start there, I noticed one of the plugs was fouled and had a droplet of water between the gap. I installed the new plugs then tested it straight away and didn’t miss a beat.

Now am I looking at a potential head gasket leak or do these engines have liners that can crack,leak?.

My dad took it to a shop last month to get them to check it out and they replaced plugs thermostat and compression tested it.
compressions were 115,110,110,115 PSI.

We have a friend who has just installed a new Suzuki on his boat which runs like a clock, just wondering is it time to unbolt the Johnson it and watch it sink to the bottom and go new. Haha

Any help appreciated.

Hi Faztbullet.

Thanks for the reply, The cylinder was the top right when standing from behind.

We went out yesterday and it played up but then eventually came right after about 10mins at full throttle. On the way back to the ramp I held it wide open and ran fine. Took it out again this morning and it faulted for about 45secs then came right. I was wondering are the coils prone to failing on these engines? Engine has done 509hrs.

Thanks

Run with a timing light.------One cylinder at a time.----Lay the light on one of your seats.------Observe the flashing of the light.

Back