Logo

Johnson 130 HP 1996 wonbt idle

F

Frank Kapp

" I have a 130 Johnson that ca

" I have a 130 Johnson that can't be made to idle. When it had 15 hours on it a hurricane damaged the house and prevented me from using the boat for two years. The tank was filled (50 gallons) two weeks before the storm and Sta-Bil fuel conditioner was added at that time. After sitting for more than two years it ran fine when started, but would not idle. I rebuilt the carbs installing 4 kits and also new plugs. It still acts the same. A neighbor (commercial fisherman) tried to adjust the idle and turned several of the adjusting screws on the linkage. That didn't help but we did discover that the sealing compound on the linkage screws wasn't holding them in place and they could be easily turned with just finger pressure. The engine has been sprayed down with Boeing Aircraft spray after each use. It still has about 25 gallons of the old fuel in the tank and I don't know how I can get rid of the old gas without breaking some law. I may have to take the boat to the mainland for the dealer to look at where I bought it. I have an owners manual but it doesn't tell how to properly adjust the linkage. The compression is fine and the engine has about 25 hours on it. I am very frustrated at this point and am afraid to keep trying to get it right as I don't want to damage it. I found what looked like a broken piece of plastic tube laying below the air intake. It appeared to be about 3/4 of an inch long and was brittle translucent plastic. Any ideas as to where this came from and is it likely to be part of the problem? There is no local OMC mechanic available or I would have gone to him long ago. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Best regards,
Frank "

"Frank... If you have good com

"Frank... If you have good compression and ignition on all cylinders, it's quite possible you have overlooked something in the carburetor section. Did you remove the brass fixed high speed jets from the carb float chambers so that you could clean them thoroughly? Also, on most of the late model carbs, there is a small brass tube running from the float chamber area up to the idle and intermediate jets... that must be extremely clean. Those carbs would have to be fouled bad after sitting for two years, and it's easy to overlook a small but important detail (been there).

Recheck the carbs and put those linkages back where they belong.

The old fuel? Nothing smells anything like old stale gasoline! It can be diagnosed three blocks away. If it doesn't knock you over or make a dead horse get up and run away, don't be concerned about it.... but be sure to use a water/fuel seperator to catch any unwanted items that may be in that fuel.

Joe
"

Back