Logo

Johnson 115 2001.

alspect

My 2001 two-stroke Johnson 115 has an intermittent bang at over 3,800 RPM. It sounds and feels almost like you hit a log. It's been doing it for about 6 years and seems to be getting more consistent. It started The next season after having the lower unit replaced. At first it was very sharp sound like two pieces of metal being slapped together. It was very intermittent like once every couple of miles. Now it's a dull thud and can happen as much as every hundred yards. However if it were something in the lower unit I would think it would have blown apart by now. Maybe something electrical causing no ignition for a short second?

Step #1 is to remove the lower unit and check shift rod height.-----Very important to do.------And those " batwing " gearcases are not robust in my opinion.----Sure sounds like it is jumping out of gear to me.

I have had this happen before when the shift dog wears and slips off of the drive gear. Check the gear oil for excessive metal fragments.
Does the linkage operate normally? Does the prop spin freely when you move the shift control from both forward and reverse back to the neutral position? Also check that the engine will only start when the control lever and the lower unit are both in neutral. If any of these aren't true, there's a possibility there's wear in the lower unit or shift components, or it could have been reassembled with the shift rod out of adjustment.

Back