Logo

Joe Reeves Timing Question/issue

jdrake83

1988 Johnson 40hp (J40TELCCS) Tiller

What I did before timing procedure:
- Adjust throttle linkages as described in the service manual for my motor. I saved timing for last since the manual says to do things in the order presented. At the end everything looked as it was supposed to in the manual

What I did for the JR method after reading the write up on this forum and watching “This Old Outboard” on youtube:
- Remove plugs
- Connect timing light to #1 spark plug wire
- Connect spark tester set at 7/16” to #2 spark plug wire (which it what it looks like TOO did
- Advance to WOT
- Twist tie linkage to prevent movement
- Water muffs to preserve water pump
- Per my manual timing is 19° so I marked 15°
- Ran method and adjusted the screw stop until it was on the money

Problem I’m having:
WOT now barely moves the cam follower on the carb. I’ve attached a picture to show just how far off everything is at WOT.

I figure I must be doing something wrong. I’m about ready to take it to a local shop but I’d like to avoid 80 bucks an hour if possible.

Something I’m wondering about is that the tiller model doesn’t use the screw stop but has you bending the connecting rod. Someone before me added the screw stop so that’s what I used.

I was using my friend’s timing light: A craftsman with a dial on the back. Based on what I read online I set the dial to ZERO and just used my mark.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back