Logo

J35PL3EEM; need help troubleshooting why engine runs good at lower RPMs and shifts well, but when boat exceeds 9 MPH, the motor shuts down.

Chairborne

J35PL3EEM; need help troubleshooting why engine runs good at lower RPMs and shifts well, but when boat exceeds about 8.5 MPH, the motor shuts down. Or, if I throw the throttle wide open, the boat will plane and then in about 10 seconds will shut the motor off. It will start right back up in neutral and work great at lower speeds.

How did it run for you last season ?----Is the motor running with oil injection in service?----Post the compression values.----Are the 3 low speed mixture screws set correctly.----Good spark on each lead ?

How did it run for you last season ?----Is the motor running with oil injection in service?----Post the compression values.----Are the 3 low speed mixture screws set correctly.----Good spark on each lead ?
Thank you, it ran great last year. The high speed jets in the carburetor may have some varnish or shellac in them.

Low speed and idle are working as they should, rock solid.

The oil injection system is disconnected and I mix the oil in the gas tank each time. It was disconnected before my time as owner, do jot know why...

Those mixing units were not reliable !!! ----Every good dealer says --" throw it away "-----Bought 3 of these motors one time , all 3 had mixing unit removed.----The question was--" are the low speed jets set correctly ? "----So are they set correctly , yes , no or no idea how to set them.-----They are NOT set with a number of turns from gently seated.

Back