Logo

J140TXESE Wrong Gear Case??

mstahl1171

Contributing Member
My neighbor just purchased a "Gently" used Grady White CC with a Johny 140hp J140TXESE. We went for a test run yesterday and could not get the motor over 4000 rpms. Motor ran fine other than that. I noticed after we returned that the prop was a 15x17 on a 15 spline shaft. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the V4 motors were 13 spline shafts. Anyways...We did the the 3 turn flywheel method to determine that the gear case is from a V6 - 1.85:1. Here is the link for the test procedure: http://www.evinrudenation.com/owner...ination-and-speed-calculations-for-your-boat/.

I could not find any parts listings for a V6 gear case on a V4 motor. Am I wrong?? Should he just change the prop to a 15x15 or change the gear case? My concern is that the larger prop and gear case will put too much strain on the motor and bearings.

He ordered a service manual yesterday. Maybe that will shed some light.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks Racerone....Any ideas on what was the standard prop? 15x15 seems to be the lowest pitch with a 15 spline hub we have found so far. That would get the motor close to 4500-4800 rpms. The problem is the hole shot. Its takes the motor up to minute or so to get on plane. when on plane it tops out at 4000 rpm. I will add that the local dealer rebuilt the carbs, replaced the stator, trigger and power pack. Timing is 28* TDC at WOT. Carbs open fully and compression is 128, 130, 131 and 129. Nice hot spark, jumps 7/16" gap. Im out of ideas of what else it could be besides prop and gear case.

There realy is no such thing as a " standard prop" for outboard motors.-----------Owner / dealer have to fit a prop based on the boat / load !------------Look into crankcase compression issues.

Back