Logo

J-series duo prop vs. B-series

weeber

I have a 1993 Carver 280 Sedan powered by a Volvo-Penta 740B and DP-C outdrive.

I just had to cut off the front prop. (Grease those splines!!) which was a set of B3's.

These worked well. I never did a WOT test, but the boat fully loaded cruises at 22 knots at 3400rpm.

Apparently Volvo doesn't make B-series any more and the replacement is the J-series.

The B3's translate to a J4. The J-series are just like the A-series for diesel engines. An A4 equals a J4.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone had to change their B-series to a J-series?

I'm scared changing to a J4 will work my engine harder and also make the boat faster at idle too (I like to troll while fishing).

I never did a WOT test,

Then you'll only know if new props are correct when you buy, install, and run WOT. Who says B-3s are equal to J-4s? ...

Volvo says they're the same.

www.volspec.co.uk/pdfs/J-type-propellers.pdf

It was more of a philosophical question. Why is a 4 blade prop better for diesels originally, but now OK for gas. Also, these j type are only good for 230hp. Well, my boat is more like 330hp, but I don't want to pay nearly double for ss props.

Anyway, I bought a new single front prop and having the rear referbed. The prop guy said the j type don't have a rubber core and are a little smaller, so less prop altogether.

A little tardy, but Volvo says a B-series corresponds to one size larger with Js. A B-3 corresponds to a J-4, it's in the fine print of your link ...

Back