Logo

It felt like i hit a log

Cliff_A

I have a 1996 Johnson 225 Ocean Runner. I just bought it a month ago with the assumption that it has between 1600 to 2000 hrs. with regular maintenance. It wasn't running and had sat up for about a year. I drained old gas, changed water separator and fuel filter,changed out spark plugs with NGK (which is what the previous owner used). Changed two of the plug wires, water impeller, and lower unit oil. Disconnected the VRO and mixed the gas. It was hard to get it started but got it running and used seafoam spray directly into the carbs. Smoked alot but finally cleaned up. It has ran fine the last few times I took it out. Still kind of a pain to get it started since the primer solenoid fires only when it wants to. I'm thinking its problems with the switch, and not the solenoid. The engine idles and shifts fine. It gets on plane great with no missing or sputtering. After running a few hundred yards down the bayou, it starts missing intermittently like it loses fire in more than one cylinder, maybe all 6 but then catches back up. The first time it happened, i thought i hit a small log or lily patch. Slowing down helps it but it will do it at any RPM if you give it enough time. I worried mostly about the transom since the boat is a 1993, and its pretty violent when it keeps jumping around. The previous owner told me that the kill switch doesn't work, so you don't need to put the plastic spacer under the key to start it. Wondering if its possible the kill switch is affecting this. The engine wont shut off until you turn the key off. Has anyone had this issue before?

Back