Logo

Is there an easier way to test O2 sensors than the book description.

btravlin2

Regular Contributor
A mechanic told me a few weeks ago that there was a simple way to test O2 sensors with ohms and/or volts. But I can't remember exactly what he said. Is there?

The manual is confusing. Maybe I just have to re-read it a few times. Age does that!?

'o4 x 225's

Some time ago I pulled a testing procedure off of the Internet for testing an auto HO2 sensor. It should also work fine for the BF 225. Stupidly, I did not record the link, but I do have the write up. It is well written and straightforward. It requires a quality multimeter for measuring millivolts and ohms. If you want a copy, send an e-mail to me at [email protected].

I remember doing one like chawk says, but it involved a torch and heating it up...I cant remember exactly how though.

From what I am reading you can use most any four wire senser just solder and shrink wrap the wires to your connector. The two white wires are the heater either ground or hot is switched on by the ecm when the engine is running.

Well, I'm not so sure you can use any old sensor. I am clearly no an expert on this issue. But Honda SB #70 and #71 both discuss HO2 sensor issues and both SB's specify different HO2 sensors and different ECU's. So if there is any logic to that, the ECU is programmed to a specific sensor and expects to see and will react appropriately to a very specific signal from the HO2 sensor.

I'm no O2 sensor X spurt either but I do know that, if you screw up and wire it wrong while trying something like that.....as in wiring the heater circuit into the signal circuit, that will take out the ECM for sure.
So be careful.

I understand that this is an old topic, but is there any simple instructions on how to test the sensor, preferably step-by-step with examples.

And who can tell me where to get this sensor at the moment because I do not have it in stock. I've been spending a lot of time preparing for my sophomore economics exam lately. I am sitting sample tests with answers like use this link to prepare for the exam. After that I will be able to go back to testing and studying sensors for which I need to find somewhere because in the place where I bought them before O2 sensors have evaporated and will not be new in the near future.

Hi Coatseardeas,
Welcome.

You might try taking chawk_man up on his offer of providing a copy of the procedure. See post #2 of this thread. He might also hook you up with a source for a suitable and less expensive aftermarket sensor for your outboard if you ask.

I would also recommend that you start your own thread on this subject listing the pertinent details of your outboard such as horsepower, year model and frame number. You'll likely get more responses if you do that.

Good luck.

Back