Logo

Is the Rinda Tech the only way?

o2batsea

Outstanding Contributor
I am nowhere near ready to get the engine installed let alone tuned, but pondering minds want to know if the Rinda TechMate is the only way to hack the MEFI on my old 454? Is there a laptop app or something out there? If it means clipping off the old connector and installing a Deutsch plug, I can do that.
Otherwise I'll buy the damn thing but I'm gagging on the price tag just for using once or twice a year.

the RINDA tool is the recommended factory tool by all of the major marine OEMs....with their DIACOM software as an alternative.

There are several MEFI compatible s/w suites out there to convert a laptop into a scan tool...most all need a cable. the 'read' versions are much cheaper than the 'write' versions and I'd suspect you only need the latter. exploit your favorite search tool and research the viable ones...as usual, the gripes are easy to find but the praises take more effort.

My gut says an old OBDII scanner would work but needs an 'adapter cable' to get the correct signal on the correct pin...never tried it, just a gut hunch.

Another option - if you have a slip neighbor, you could do a co-op of the scan tool kit...or maybe set up another part-time business - "we can scan you engine in your slip, today, for only $xxx while you wait....call O2Bat at 410-xxx-yyzz"

Back