Logo

Is my BF225 toast?

Other Line

Contributing Member
I've got a 2002 BF225 w/ 603 hours. Serial # BagJ 1002546. It's been a great motor. I just went to fire it up for a quick ocean run and I noticed water coming out of the front of the cowling as soon as I started it. Shut it down, pulled off the cowling and discovered about an 1/8" inch "split" or "crack" about 1/4" inch below where the starboard thermostat bolts to the block. In the block!
Looks like when I get it out of the water I can remove thermo and maybe gain access to the back side of the split. But I'm scared of what type of corrosion I'll find.
I've got a blackberry photo of the water shooting out, it's a little fuzzy but I'll send it to anyone that wants to have a look. You can clearly see the issue. I'm also trying to attach it here:

Any thoughts on what I've got on my hands?

Other Line
Rudee Inlet

Attachments

• IMG00170.jpg
    IMG00170.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 236
The thermostat covers for your vintage motor were subject to corrosion. There was a Service Bulletin to replace them to minimize this problem. Yours have been changed in October, 2007.

My old eyes can not really see the water. Hopefully, the source is the thermostat covers since they are easy to change out.

Mike

I can't quite make out the picture either. If I recall correctly, the starboard thermostat mount actually has an additional piece between where the thermostat seats and the block to accommodate a tap. There will be a hex-head bolt there. If that is where the crack is, then that piece can be easily repaired or replaced.

If you look at the Zip-tie on the wiring, look just behind it. The crack is spewing water towards it. I posted this on thehulltruth.com and someone commented on block issues around that year and said Honda had helped people out it situations similar to mine. I bought this rig 2nd hand from FL w/ 71 hours
HondaDude,
thanks for the input.We changed those out in '07 but this looks to be below those new covers by about 1/4 inch.
C-Hawk man,
Are you in Norfolk? Do you use Whalens Marine?

I'm near Hague (which you probably never hear of) on the Potomac, just below Coles Point. Closest town is Warsaw.

And yes, I know Whelans very well. That's where I got my BF 225 and they are my primary dealer. I have had excellent service from them on all fronts.

Why do you ask?

C Hawk Man, I've lurked around this site (and got some great info, BTW) and I think I saw you mention Whalens.

Thought you might be referring to the Hague section of Norfolk

I hear good things about Whalens, but haven't used them.

Thanks!

I replied on location, etc. in a private message to you.

Back to your water spewing problem. Did you check to see if there is an additional block below the t-stat that has the hex head bolt in it? I can't tell from the picture.

If not, then I think you will need to find a really good machinist who specializes in working with aluminum to fix that block. Given the boating culture in your area, you should be able to find someone fairly easily. There may be enough working room inside the t-stat port to do the work without tearing apart the block.

Funny, I'm usually the one that can't see spit but I could make out the water spewing from that "rust stained" area right off. Thank you Lens Crafters!

Not sure how much help this might be but here goes;

If you do find it's a corroded block and there is no other remedy, I have been using a product recently to repair old motors soaked in salt. It is called Devcon Metal Patch and Fill compound. It is cheap and easy to use. I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time because I just started using it to repair internal water passages. It sets up hard and adheres to the metal well, allowing filing, drilling and machining. I really don't expect it to hold up as well as the original cast aluminum but in my case, it's all I've got so I'm giving it a whirl.

Good luck with your baby.

Last edited:
So, I got a service bulletin to replace the thermo covers b/c of "galvantic corrosion". I get that done and now I have galvanic corrosion in my block?
This guy seems like he has the same problem:

www.hondagrief.com

Any one else had this problem?

Got some better pics, think it's fixable?

Attachments

• Honda Corrosion 00000.JPG
    Honda Corrosion 00000.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Honda Corrosion 00001.JPG
    Honda Corrosion 00001.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 174
Probably so. Can you get to that hole from the inside if you remove the thermostat? If so, then a good machinist can probably get in there, clean it all out, and fill it.

So now I'm hearing about internal anodes that need to be replaced in the newer models.

Anyone do that? Looks like you may need to drop the manifolds to do so-any idea how much that costs?

WOW - that's news to me. I have come across no mention of internal anodes in the shop manual and have not seen any mention of them in the various diagrams. The are clearly not listed in the maintenance schedule.

If I'm looking at that photo of yours correctly. The weeping sure looks to be coming from the T-stat housing to me.

If not, it's just another person with a hole in their Honda???

I had a post where I had members guessing to name that "hole" myself.
My block had a genuine hole in the casting. Not in an EZ permanant type fix spot.
So, a bit of JB weld and a tap, with a brass plug was my only answer. Because I need my Honda to be up and running. Not sitting in a shop waiting on them to send a empty back ordered block....yeah, like that fixes Honda's quality control!

Sure looks as if that are is really excessable.

Either way, I change my t-stats yearly, if not with every water pump change at least.

I've heard about people talking internal anodes myself. But as Chawk says, do not find any mention of it in the Honda shop manual....or even in the owners manual.

So to answer the looming question, "Is my BF 225 toast?"

NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

Jettywolf,

It's below the t-stat housing, I wish it wasn't. But I may be able to get to it once I pull the t-stat. I was leery of doing that w/out talking to a dealer. My regular mechanic got put out of work when his dealership shut down, so I am out to find a new one. I'm all about JB Weld, it's holding my '77 Bronco together!
I do a lot of 30+ mile runs in the dead of winter so I want to make sure I get this fix right

So...."another HOLE in a Honda block?"

Good Gawd, I'm really loosing all confidence in Honda's!!!

I've had every color outboard made. They all have may more really bad issues than lets' say, my 1995 Ford F-250 pic-up that's been towing since day one of it's life, ever had.

I've always said, when they can make a outboard like a good heavy vehicle. We'll all benefit.
I thought so when 4-strokes became popular. And I went Honda, because they were the first and should have the most experience. So naturally you'd think..........

But "think" not, I guess.

I know that Honda uses internal zincs in the smaller outboards so I would think that they use them in the big ones too. You may need to get a parts breakdown to find them though.

New Pics

Finally got to pull the t-stats.Starboard was ok,port was a mess. T-stats have about 105 hours in 3 years time. Noticed a break in the o-ring of the thermo cover above the hole. I last looked under the cowling about 5-10 hours of running time ago, didn't see anything out of line.

Do you think the degraded area can be built back up, welded, or whatever? I don't have much metal repair experience

Here's some pics:
Attached Images
133811d1285282623-my-bf225-toast-honda-corrosion-00006.jpg
133812d1285282623-my-bf225-toast-honda-corrosion-00008.jpg
133813d1285282623-my-bf225-toast-honda-corrosion-00013.jpg
133814d1285282623-my-bf225-toast-honda-corrosion-00014.jpg

That's about the strangest thing I have ever seen on an engine. The only thing I can figure is a bad casing given the comparatively good results on the Starboard side. Hard lesson learned - remove, clean, and check those t-stats every year at a minimum.

It looks like it can be fixed, but you're going to need to find a really good welder who has a lot of experience with alunimum. He will need to grind out all of the corrosion, then start layering in the aluminum fill, one layer at a time. You should be able to find a competent one in your area, given all the boats and motors down there.

Back