Logo

Installing an electric starter on a 1977 25 hp evinrude

dps

I have a 1977 model 25 hp Evinrude with pull start and I am looking to add electric start to this engine. Can anyone tell me if this engine requires a voltage regulator? I have looked at online parts breakdowns and can not find it listed. At this time I don't have a wiring diagram but plan on acquiring one before doing the install. At this point I am still assembling a parts list for the project, also any tips would be helpfull.

Thanks to all...

Unless you are adding a charge stator (charge coils, lighting coils - many different names) that would allow you to charge the battery, then you do not need the voltage regulator.

Given the very low charge voltage provided by the charge components on a "portable" motor, I would definately not go the expense. It would be far more cost effective to simply recharge your starting battery at the dock or at home.

My 1960 model, 40 horse Gale is an electric start with no charge capability. A fully charged starting battery (650 CCA) held enough of a charge to start the motor everyday for a two week period before I recharged it with a (regular) battery charger.

Provided it is still available the electric starter kit is part number 0173346.

It includes the starter motor, the mounting bracket, the solenoid and the wiring together with other bibs and bobs.

The battery charging kit is part number 0173358. It includes the stator coil a non regulated rectifier and a few other minor bits and pieces.

Larger engines with higher output stator coils have regulated rectifiers but they are not necessary with the low output stators that are fitted to the smaller engines.

those sm engines never had a voltage regulator....u can add a lil chging coil and rectifier tho...did it on mine,along w/elect start.....however,u need to make sure,u have a good eng u really like,cuz by the time u do all that,u could add 500 easy...

the starter bracket alone,....the last time(4-5 yrs ago) i inst one was 80 bucks,..gotta be 100 now,...just for the BRACKET.

Hey,

as jwbmarine said, it's 100 bucks for the bracket ALONE, that's quite a lot for your model.

You do not need the voltage regulator, but you probably should get the starter motor, the mounting bracket and that should get you that electric motor started you wanted.

Cheers

///
Dubai Yachts

Post is nearly 10 years old.------Brackets for 1976 and older are big $ items it seems.---Not all the 77 and newer flywheels had the ring gear.----Brackets for 77 and newer are cheap in my area.

Last edited:
Got nothing to do tonight so wanted to check in. I have a couple of these units here if anyone is interested. Have done electric start set- ups back into the 60's on 18 and 20's too. Recently found one in the local dump "recycling" area. Turned out to be a beautiful gem, 20 hp. Johnson.

Provided it is still available the electric starter kit is part number 0173346.

It includes the starter motor, the mounting bracket, the solenoid and the wiring together with other bibs and bobs.

The battery charging kit is part number 0173358. It includes the stator coil a non regulated rectifier and a few other minor bits and pieces.

Larger engines with higher output stator coils have regulated rectifiers but they are not necessary with the low output stators that are fitted to the smaller engines.
Will these part numbers also fit a 1976 25603E?

Dont think so. The Racer mentioned different powerhead from the 22 cu in. in 1976 to the larger powerhead in 1977. Then a change in lower unit, exhaust housing, etc....too.

77 came the 32 cubic inch, different lower unit, with power from 20 to 35. Many were provided with electric start and alternator. Lower units on standard motors were really strong. 1980 or 81 saw a change to a 3 dog transmission.

Back